Friday, January 01, 2010

The Claw!

A few nights before we left NC, Jesse and I were in bed watching "Elf" when we heard Grandma's voice yelling this from the living room: "Woohoo! Hey!!! Hey!! Somebody help! Woooo!!!" I jumped up as fast as I could and ran into the living room to see what the heck was going on, only to find Sadie and my mom curled up on the couch fast asleep and my grandma leaned back in her recliner, snoring. Apparently sleeping in a recliner can give you a doozy of a bad dream. Jesse and I got a good laugh out it, and we all made fun of Grandma the next morning. Good thing she's a good sport and laughs at herself too!

On Sunday afternoon, I was in the bedroom with the door closed when my mom stuck her head in and said, "Is Adelaide in here?" (she had been playing in the kitchen with my mom and grandma). I said, "Ummm, no. I thought she was with you." Mama said, "We can't find her! We've looked everywhere!" Of course, I thought the worst...she had opened the back door, wandered to the road, gotten hit by a car... something like that. Then I saw Grandma leaning over to look underneath the long tablecloth on the dining room table. She said, "Hello?" A little voice said, "Heh-wo!" Adelaide had swiped a candy cane out of the candy bowl, then HID under the table to tear off the plastic wrapper and eat the candy cane unhindered. What a sneak!

Sunday night, Sharon and Gary came down and Sharon told Josie, "You are just as cute as a button!" Josie responded, "Well, I am! I am CUTER than a button!" Later, Uncle Gary honed his storytelling skills with Josie, after teaching her what it means to be "all riled up" right before bedtime. Thanks, Gary! :) He told her about THE CLAW, which is when his hand loses control of itself and tries to grab you and tickle you, even when he tries to stop it :) Josie thought this was HILARIOUS. When he was trying to tell her a story about Brer Rabbit, she kept interrupting and yelling "It's THE CLAW!" and grabbing him and tickling him. Great fun!

When Melanie and Ada stopped by, Ada (a VERY precocious 2 year old) told us this joke (or at least this is how we heard it): "Why did the chicken cross the playground? To get to the other side!" Funny, especially coming from her. Later that day, after thinking about it a while, Sadie said, "You know what? If I made that joke up, I would say, 'Why did the chicken cross the playground - To get to the other SLIDE!'" Badomp bomp!

Lying on the bed, goofing off with Adelaide, Jesse said, "Who's your best friend?" Without missing a beat, she said,"Daddy!"

On Monday, we climbed in the car and Josie said, "Mommy, I have a hypothesis." I didn't even know she KNEW that word! We picked up my Daddy (Papaw) to go over to the park and go "Traipsing through the snow." It was COLD. The girls didn't want me to go with them, so Adelaide and I wandered around while they went on a big adventure with Papaw. At one point, he told Sadie to watch it or she was going to fall. Sure enough, right after that, boom! She said, "I fell right on my hind end!" When we left, I was preoccupied with getting everyone in and getting the snow off, and so when we pulled out onto the street, Adelaide called from the back seat: "Buckle! Buckle!" Sure enough, I hadn't buckled her all the way in. Daddy was very impressed with her smartness (not with my lapse in safety)!