Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Adelaide is 4

Today was Adelaide-y-hoo's 4th birthday. We had her party on Sunday in Grandma's backyard and Grammie bought her a Dorothy cake. We had a mixed theme going on - blue and princess balloons, red table cloths, Dorothy decorations on the cake, a little swimming pool, lemonade, and blankets in the yard. It was HOT. The kids had a fabulous time eating cake, opening presents, running around like crazy, and stuffing themselves into the tiny wading pool all at once. I was a bit sad that Adelaide wore her little pink "Birthday Girl" shirt for probably the last year - though it's lasted through 12 birthdays now - 4 for each girl. Sigh. I can't believe she's growing up so fast... my baby girl. This morning she had a candle in her pancake and then I brought her some surprises (a paint with water book and some LalaLoopsy mini toys) and Grammie called her birthday in to 3WC and they announced "A happy 4th birthday to Adelaide" on the radio. Then this afternoon we went to Shatley Springs with Papaw and Mamaw and she had another cake there AND they sang to her and she got to feed the ducks. Tonight she's spending the night along with Sadie and Josie at Cameron and Caleb's house. Throughout the day she continued to be her "own self," even though now she is "four years old actually and for real." She repeatedly asked to hear our new favorite song by the Darlings on the Andy Griffith show, which she consistently called "Doodley" instead of "Dooley." She informed me while in the bathroom at Shatley Springs that "there is a fly in here." "A fly?" I said. "Yes. And it is distinctly alive." "Distinctly?" I asked. "I didn't know you knew that word." "Well, I do know it." On the way home she was playing with Papaw in the back seat and he said something about a pick. Adelaide, who takes "nothing off no one" said, "Hey! I am not a pig! You are da pig!" And then when I was getting ready to leave Angela's after dropping them all off, Adelaide ran upstairs and into the bathroom. Then she yelled for me and informed me that "I tried to pee in the potty but I missed and then all the pee squirted out into the floor!" After I cleaned it up and changed her clothes, I said to the cowboy hat wearing girl, "You do know there is a bathroom in the basement." Silence. And a dirty look. And "No. I did not know dat." Happy birthday to my sweet goofball, laugh a minute girl. You are my girl (and I am your mom :).