Sunday, September 09, 2012

Sick Days are not Allowed

Moms do not get to take sick days.

Having a 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year job usually isn’t that bad. But if “Mom” needs a sick day; well, it’s just too bad, so sad.

Because when “Mom” is sick, she just keeps on doing her regular job but with the added bonus of feeling like crap at the same time.

I think our little germ bearers hatch schemes to make us sick. I mean, let’s face it: a sick mom automatically equals junk food, lax supervision and more TV.

Haven’t you noticed how when “Mom” has a cup full of anything, one of her notoriously germy kids always swipes it, drinks it and (here’s the most important part of the plan) contaminates it? Children conveniently forget that they have their own drinks that “Mom” just poured for them sitting right there.

Getting sick is inevitable, but I’ve heard advice about how to still be a good mom even when you feel rotten. Yep, some really good advice, like “Get dressed and put on makeup,” “Act like you’re not sick and you’ll fool yourself into feeling better,” “Sing a happy song and play outside with your kids – the fresh air will do you good!” and “If you don’t feel like doing much, at least do the laundry and the dishes.”

I know, I know – stop laughing.

When I’m really sick (my last bout with a tummy bug generously bestowed on me by my daughter comes to mind), I usually just give up and slink around in my pjs, moaning my own advice like “Don’t come any closer,” “See if you can find your dad,” and “Please help your brother.” Also “Get away from me,” “Don’t touch that,” and “Wash your hands again!”

If “Mom” decides to just go ahead and take a sick day anyway, the kids still won’t give her one. Nope, your needy family (usually including the dad) barely even notice the Quarantine sign on your bedroom door or the fact that your head is under a pillow.

Picture this: You’re suffering in silence (for once) shivering while sweating on your bed. You feebly reach for your extra blanket that’s fallen to the floor. Your children do one of the following:

a) Tiptoe in, tuck your blankets around your legs and ask if you’d like some hot tea.

b) Knock loudly, offer you a half-eaten popsicle and say, “Hey, what’s for lunch?”

c) Slam through the door, point at their sister and yell “SHE DID IT!” while wearing a pirate hat and dripping grape Kool-aid on the rug.

Your answer about your (non-sick) mate will probably directly correspond to the one about your children. He comes home at the exact moment you finally manage to stumble, bleary-eyed, through the house and into the kitchen for a vitamin C and some juice. He says:

a) “What in the world are you doing out of bed? Honey, you go straight back in there and get some more rest. I’ll take the kids out for dinner while you nap.”

b) “You look like you feel a little bit better, but maybe you should take a shower and put on some clean clothes.”

c) “Oh, good, you’re up! I hope dinner’s almost ready because I don’t want to miss the football game.”

I hope you can’t relate, but… I’m pretty sure most of you can.

It’s just too bad, so sad, moms. When you’re sick, your own family probably doesn’t even notice.

But if it makes you feel any better, the rest of us moms feel sorry for you.

--from my 9/9/12 article for www.mentorpatch.com