Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Sick and Tired

Sadie has been sick for 9 days now. It's felt like the longest 9 days EVER for ME, so I can only imagine how SHE must feel. She looks like she's dropped 10 pounds and she seems so fragile and so scrawny to me. At first, she had a fever and she kept throwing up (from the fever, I imagine, don't think it was ever a stomach bug). Then she developed this cough that kept making her sick. Now everything else seems to be gone, but the stupid cough has persisted, making it nearly impossible for her to sleep and keeping us all trapped here at home day in and day out. And we are missing the fall, which is everyone's (especially mine and Sadie's) favorite time of year! We are getting really mad and frustrated.

But one of the good things about her being sick is how she says, "I guess the only thing that would really make me feel any better is for you to come and sit on my feet and snuggle with me, Mom. And maybe read to me." So one day, I was working on my Bible Study book and so I started reading to her out of the book of Matthew. Something struck me from the chapter I was reading (4:16) "the people living in darkness have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death
a light has dawned.” I started thinking about it, and I talked to her about it a little bit, and then I got kind of teary eyed and she rolled her eyes and said, "Sheesh, Mommy, everything makes you cry." I kept talking and talking and finally she said, "Okay, Mom. Less talking, more reading." hahaha!!! She has a point. I certainly do tend to ramble.

She did stop me later on and say, "Hey, did you hear some crying coming from the direction of the refrigerator? No? Maybe it was SCREAM cheese." As I watched her laugh to herself from her own joke, I was reminded of myself!