Sunday, February 24, 2013

Mother of all playlists

Earlier this week I looked through my iTunes playlist to see if there was anything I could delete (I’ve become somewhat addicted to Pandora, so I need more space for new songs – ie: anything by Zac Brown.)

As I scrolled through, my kids were chattering away in the background (as usual.) I happened to come across the old Eric Carmen song All By Myself and I thought, “Wow, being all by myself sounds pretty darn good at this moment.”

This led me to my newest list:

Songs for Moms. I had so much fun with this that I think I might have to do two lists.
Now, the lyrics of these songs do not necessarily coincide with the plight(s) of motherhood. It’s more the titles that I’m interested in. Keep in mind that this list came from my personal music collection. Therefore, you’ll probably think it’s pretty lame. I tend to like old stuff, since I am old myself.

All By Myself – Eric Carmen
Isn’t this every mom’s dream? I wanna be… all by myself! In the bathroom, all by myself!
Beast of Burden – The Rolling Stones
This is what I have become. I find myself carrying diaper bags, overnight bags, at least one kid, a purse, a set of keys, a violin, some yoga mats, a water bottle and a box of animal crackers pretty much everywhere I go.
Somebody that I Used to Know – Gotye
Not only is this my 4 year old’s “very favoritest” song, but this is also what I sing when I look in the mirror. Who is this person with the frizzy hair, the dark circles under her eyes and the flab from four babies where her jeans should be zipping? Yeah… let’s top that off with my mother’s voice is coming out of her mouth, too. Yep, I’ve turned into somebody that I used to know.
Pour Some Sugar on Me – Def Leppard
My 2-year-old son’s theme song. He chases me around the house saying, “Can-nY? Can-nnYYY? PEASE! Do-dut! Ice Cweam! Want some!”
Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
You sing this to your kids when their cousins tell them that there is no such thing as Santa Claus.
Mama Said – The Shirelles
The answer to pretty much every single “Why?” question that I hear throughout the day. I counted once – it’s roughly a total of 237.
Every Little Thing She Does is Magic – The Police
What you think about your little girl when she starts cooing, laughing and babbling. And then again when she’s five, gets a $4 magic set and says, “Hey! Watch this twick!” every five minutes.
Feels so Right – Alabama
What your 4-year-old tells you when she just CAN’T figure out which shoe goes on which foot – after you try to teach her EVERY SINGLE DAY for the previous SIX MONTHS. It’s on the wrong foot! “But, Mommy, it doesn’t feel wrong! It feels so right!”
Every Step You Take - The Police
Every move you make, every breath you take, every step you take – they’ll be watching you. Yes, they are, in fact, little pint-sized stalkers.
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – U2
I put the cereal in the dishwasher and I put the milk in the microwave. I put dirty clothes in the bathtub and I put yogurt on the washing machine. I put my iPad in my sock drawer and I put my Bible behind the coffee maker. I doubt I’ll ever find my original set of keys and there’s absolutely no hope for that earring I misplaced last week.
First Time Ever I Saw Your Face – Roberta Flack
This one’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? I’ve loved all four of my babies with a desperate, heart-wrenching love from the very first moment I saw their scrunched up little faces in the delivery room.  These lyrics have been printed out and permanently attached to every “Baby’s First Year” book in this house.

from my 2/24/13 post for www.mentorpatch.com