Tuesday, January 24, 2006

All Done!

*This is Sadie in her new overalls that Papaw Garry and Mamaw Sylvia got her for Christmas. Why couldn't I just get a smile like this one? Just one?

Tonight, we went to Picture People to get the girls' pictures made. I was SO excited, since I've always wanted to have them done there, and never have before because A: they are way too expensive, and 2: I have never before been so much of a glutton for punishment. Well, today, I had every mother's dream... a coupon! So we got all dressed up in the new outfits Grammy Gail paid for for Valentine's Day, we made arrangements to meet Deanna & Melissa at the mall, and off we went.

First of all, let me say this: I had it all together. Kids just woke from nap, so not sleepy. Kids just had snack, so not hungry. Kids just changed, so not dirty. Kids mine, so not normal.

Where oh where did I go wrong? We got to the store, and Sadie turned into a wacko. All we could figure out was that she was scared of the photographer (a guy wearing cowboy boots who was just a little on the odd side). Every time she went to sit on the bean bag, this dark cloud would come over her little face and out the bottom lip would come and start quivering. Then the whining began and she'd say, "Oh goodness (her new favorite exclamation), oh goodness. All done, all done." And she'd get up and try to get Deanna to pick her up or try to score Cheerios from Melissa. It was ridiculous. This happened over and over, and the whole time, Josie was sitting there on the bean bag, happy as a clam, smiling and laughing and looking like a Picture People poster child. Finally we bribed Sadie into sitting there for 2 seconds (Deanna had collateral - candy) and she actually stayed put. Of course, by this time, Josie was sick of the whole thing, too. In the only picture that was halfway decent of the two of them together, they both had red noses, snot and/or spit all over their chins, and they looked somewhat like pint-size headbangers. Geez. What a nightmare.

Poor photographer - I felt sorry for the guy. I asked him if he ever felt like smacking a kid. He said no, but I got the distinct feeling that he was lying. Anyway, I ended up with one pose of Josie - alone - taken back before the 2nd round of crying commenced. As far as professional pictures go, in the words of my child, I will just say this: "All done, all done!"

*Josie's learning to eat baby food... this is her showcasing her first taste of carrots. Yum!