Saturday, January 14, 2006

I Sees It, But I Don't Believes It

So the other night, I went up to Josie's room to check on her (I'm such a paranoid... I check on both of them at least 3 times a night). I was just going to make sure she wasn't cold, wasn't smushed against the side of the crib, WAS breathing, etc., and then go back out and close the door. However, when I looked into her room, I saw this thing at the head of the bed (she has a bed and a crib in her room). Mind you, it was dark in there, but this thing was darker than the darkish dark, if you know what I mean. And it was shaped like a short person, and the way it was positioned it looked like it was standing on the bed, leaning up against the wall. I squinted my eyes and looked harder, but it was still there. Then I turned the lights on and back off again, and it was STILL there. Again. Still there. And no, it was NOT my own shadow in the doorway - I tried that one. I have no idea what it was, but it totally creeped me out. I thoroughly entertained the notion of snatching Josie out of her bed right then and there and bringing her down to sleep with me. But I tried not to panic. I mean, when the lights were on, it was gone, right? So it can't really be there, right? I am not a big believer in spooks (with the exception of Melanie's and my "Irish Spring" ghost), but I don't think it could have been an angel, either, because it gave me the creeps! I don't think God-sent angels would give you the creeps, do you?

Anyway, the next night I went up there and turned off all the lights and tried to see it again, but it never showed up. I can't figure out the exact positioning of the lights, the blinds on the windows, the moon, etc. It had to have been some weird trick of the lighting, but for the life of me I can't recreate it. Isn't that weird? Am I nuts, or do your eyes seriously play tricks on you as you get older? (Or maybe this low-cholesterol diet is taking its toll on me... my body is rebelling by trying to scare me to death.... it wants its junk food back!)

Jesse tells me that I have to stop being a baby... that I am the mommy, for Pete's sake. When Sadie or Josie come crying to me that they saw a monster, I can't scream, "Oh my gosh! Where?!" and run and hide. This is true, I suppose. But I am a chicken. What do mommy chickens do?