Tuesday, February 21, 2006

No Place Like Home on the Range

Well, we went home over the weekend... home to North Carolina. Let me tell you, there's just something about being in the shelter of those familiar green mountains that makes me feel, well, sheltered. Safe. Protected. At home. My dimishing accent returns with a vengeance.

As soon as I hit the county line, something changes inside of me. Stress levels seem to dissipate, and I feel somehow lighter, more free - I feel sixteen again. The pickup trucks with gun racks on the two lane roads, the armchairs in front yards, the crappy old cars up on blocks, the coon dogs, the livermush and split-fried hotdogs "all the way," the way my Daddy's always fixin' something in the garage, my Grandma's always got a pot of pintos on the stove, and my Mama's always telling me to be careful and lock my doors... it's the essence of home.

The girls had a great time being spoiled by Grammie, Great-Grandma, Papaw, and Mamaw. Not to mention numerous aunts, uncles, and Cindi. :) Sadie got to feed a baby calf at my Daddy's house. She is still SO excited about it. She's telling everyone, "Help Papaw, feed cow, baby, feed with bot-tell!"

Coming back is always the worst part of going. Sadie sits in the back seat, saying, "See Grammie now. See Papaw now. 3 weeks. 3 weeks." (We tell her how long it will be until she sees them again). She now says, "Bye" like "Buy," not like "By" (in other words, the way you're supposed to say it!).

You can take a girl out of the South, but you sure can't take the South out of the girl, ya'll. :)