Friday, March 24, 2006

Imagination Station

Okay. I know that I am blessed with a very intelligent, very precocious child. This is a good thing. However, the whole imagination thing is getting well underway WAY too early, in my opinion. The other night when she was convinced that there was "somebody down there" was one thing, but now she's freaking herself out, not to mention her poor old mother (namely, me). Tonight we were in her room, doing the usual routine to get ready for bed. Suddenly, she stops and looks into the corner of the room. She freezes, then runs over to me, jumps on my lap, snuggles her face into my shoulder, and starts crying, "Lexy scares me! Lexy scares me!" (Lexy is my sister-in-law's dog, and she would never hurt a flea. She's more of a chicken than a dog). I told her that Lexy wasn't here, that there was nothing there, that nothing was going to hurt her, etc., but she kept looking over over shoulder, tensing up, and crying. Then she pulled her feet and her hands in and stuck them between her body and mine, to keep them from being exposed... like something was going to bite her! After a few minutes of this, I convinced her to get up so we could go downstairs and get some milk. But as we were walking down the hallway, she kept looking behind her, getting all wild-eyed, JUMPING up on me, and crying, "Lexy scares me!" Okay. Was this a remnant of a leftover dream from naptime or something? She never mentioned being scared when she woke up from her nap today. She gets her imagination from me, I'm sure of it. I always had a tremendously vivid imagination... still do. Instead of trying to calm her fears and reassure her, I feel like saying, "What?! Where? Where's the scary dog hiding? Let's get out of here!" I don't know what I'm going to do! I need advice (other than Jesse's, which is consistently, "Just grow up." :)