Saturday, October 14, 2006

We're Ba-ack

Where to begin? We just got back from NC, and we have begun to move Mama's stuff in upstairs. I am pooped. We left there at 9 this morning (or I should say, we TRIED to leave). People kept coming by to say goodbye, give us groceries, money, well wishes, toys for the kids, etc., etc. The generosity of my southern roots never ceases to amaze me. :) We finally got on the road around 10:15. Sheesh.

The trip down was fine, even though I went about 50 mph the whole way. My car was making this weird roaring noise - wheel bearings, I was told - Jesse shipped the parts to Daddy and he fixed it for me while I was home, but I was ultra-paranoid on the way down. The kids were great, all the way there, and we only had to stop once. Sadie nearly jumped out of her skin when we got there, she was so stinking excited to see her beloved Grammy. Josie, on the other hand, wanted nothing more than to be spoiled, spoiled, and double-spoiled by Great Grandma Genevieve. I tell you, it gets worse every time.

Good things that happened:
1. Josie started walking!!! I knew it. I KNEW she would start walking while we were there. Her very first, tentative little steps were at Grandma's house, toward Uncle Thomas, of all people, hehee. This was on Saturday the 7th. After that, she kept getting a little braver, and she walked toward Papaw, me, WITH Sadie (although Sadie went a little too fast and yanked her down), and toward Grammie, Mamaw, Josh, and Elizabeth. And maybe Nettie, too. I can't remember everyone. The fact is, she did it, and you should see the proud little look on her face when everyone claps and yells, "Yay for Josie-Bean!" It is so cute.
2. Sadie got to ride the tractor again... and THIS time, she got to steer. This was the time of her life. She also informed me that "Papaw held me on his lap up there on the BIG tractor to keep me safe because that can be DANGEROUS." I was happy to hear this.
3. Melanie was home for a visit, and I got to go to not one, but count 'em, TWO of her baby showers. This was a big deal, since she lives even farther away from home than I do.
4. We went to the greatest place on earth to eat (again). We go with Papaw and Mamaw almost every time we go home. I had turnip greens, pinto beans, stewed tomatoes, fried chicken, cathead biscuits, and numerous other artery-hardening delicacies. Yum. Sadie and Josie preferred the homemade applesauce and the dumplings.
5. We got Mama all packed (for the most part) and up here. I can't believe she's actually here... but there she is, sitting in the living room, watching NASCAR. Ahhh. It feels more like home already.

Bad things that happened:
1. We all got sick. I have horrible head congestion and a cough. Sadie got sick on the way to church Sunday and Daddy and I ended up taking her to the emergency room. Ear infection. Blah!!! When we got home from the hospital, Josie had a fever of 102. For pete's sake. There was mucho crying, fussing, yelling, medicine-taking, and whining (mainly from me).
2. We missed our family reunion because we were all sick. I was so mad. I actually stopped by for about 20 minutes just to say hey to my cousins as I was going to Walmart for more children's Tylenol. I also grabbed some banana pudding and potato salad for the road. Hey, sick people still have to eat.
3. My cousin-in-law got shot through the foot with a nail gun.
4. I almost caught Grandma's house on fire when I left her heating pad in the microwave too long. The good news: we caught it in time. The bad news: The house smells like charcoaled rice, and may continue to smell that way indefinitely.

Oh, another good thing? I'm actually glad to be back in my own house! (I kind of missed Jesse a little bit, too, but don't tell him :)