Sunday, January 21, 2007

Blood is Thicker than Popsicles

I know it's been a while since my last post, but honestly, I've needed time to recover. We had an accident. I should say, JOSIE had an accident, and I've been suffering from "Mommy-guilt." We have had our first incident involving blood. I wouldn't mind a bit if it were the last. The other day, Josie wandered into my bathroom with Sadie close behind her. By the time I got there, I heard Sadie saying, "Danger! Danger, Little Stranger!" followed by wailing. Josie had climbed INTO the bathtub and found my razor (which, by the way, I have never - to my recollection - left out before. I'm very paranoid about things like that, you know. Of course, the ONE time I forget, she scales the wall and finds it). Sadie, being the good big sister she is, was trying to warn Josie about the razor's many dangers, but in her zealous attempt to shield her from said dangers... she YANKED the razor from Josie's chubby little hand, slicing off a good chunk from the pad on the end of Josie's left index finger. There was blood EVERYWHERE. I am not exaggerating. I took the razor, washed off her finger, grabbed a towel, and tried to stop the blood. By the time we made it into the kitchen, it looked like there had been an axe murder in our house. How the heck does one tiny finger bleed so much!? There was a trail all over the house, plus all over the bathtub, the sink, all our clothes, hands, faces... All the while, Josie is screaming like a wounded jackal, and Sadie is racing around bringing me bandaids and Josie's blankie, and the boo-boo bear from the freezer, and whatever else she can find to try and help. Finally, shirt soaked with blood (mine) and face drenched with tears (Josie's) and ears hurt from screaming (both of us), I broke down and called Aunt Cindy, who is a nurse. Might I just say that I LOVE HER. She noticed from my tone (apparently I am not that great at remaining calm during a crisis) that I was ready to freak completely out, and I asked her if there is a main artery in the tip of your finger.... she rushed right over and got here in less than 10 minutes. WITH her doctor kit. Josie immediately calmed down and let Cindy "doctor" her, and then we all had popsicles, crisis averted. Whew.

Now, for about 3 days, Josie has been walking around with her "boo-boo bandaid" finger pointed up in the air, making sure that everyone knows that she is injured. This girl knows how to milk something for all its worth, let me tell you. I was hosting a Bible Study in the living room afterward, and I hear screaming all of a sudden - Josie had been in bed for at least an hour - so I run to her room. She looks straight at me, points her "boo-boo finger" at me, moans a little, then rolls over and goes back to sleep.

Don't you forget this, Mom. Don't you forget it.