Tuesday, March 06, 2007

'Lissa

Well, she's gone. I don't know if I even mentioned this before (I've been in denial for a couple of months now), but Melissa, my best friend in this state, is moving to Virginia. Yay for her, bad for me. What is it about me that my best friends seem to move as far away as they can get? Sigh.

We had a little "celebratory" dinner for her tonight... and this is the kind of person Melissa is: She brought food over, cooked it for us, brought gourmet dessert, helped get the kids ready for bed, helped clean up, made me laugh my head off when she tried on Jesse's pants (both her legs and her butt went into one leg of his pants - I told her that she is half the man he is, hehee), and then left with a quick hug because she knew that I would start crying if we dragged out our goodbyes. I didn't realize how much I'm going to miss her until I closed the door behind her and she pulled out of the driveway.

Now I'm sitting here crying and thinking, "What am I going to do now? There is no one else in this town who hates living here! No one else who likes pick-up trucks and grits and Carhardt and gun racks and Southern Scrabble! No one I can talk to about Jan Karon books and sappy movies and 'going deeper' in Bible study and plan Bible Day Camp with and life in general!"
Somehow over the past 2 years, our relationship has evolved into something special... an actual "adult" friendship - the first one that I think I've ever had, honestly. One thing I love about Melissa is that she has always been so considerate of me... she ALWAYS comes over to my house so I don't have to lug the kids around, she ALWAYS helps with food/cleanup/whatever, she ALWAYS helps out when I need her to - babysitting, picking stuff up at the store, a shoulder to cry on, etc. That's just the kind of person she's always been to me. I honestly don't think I could've made it up here without her.

Don't get me wrong. I'm really happy for her. She needs this move more than anyone else I know. She's going to be great there, and she's going to have a great life.

It's just so hard not to be selfish and throw my arms around her leg and beg her not to go.