Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tricky tricky

Last night before I put the kids to bed I told Josie a secret - that we were going to go to Grammie's house for breakfast this morning. Shortly thereafter, Josie tracks me down in the utility room (gathering up laundry, as usual), with tears streaming down her face. Clearly distraught, she finally got the words out: "I told I told I told Sadie my secret, and she told me her secret if I telled her my secret, and her secret was... it was... (big sniff) that she is going to the waterpark with Daddy all by herself and (sobbing) NOT ME!" Poor Josie. I explained that Sadie had just played a mean trick on her to try to get her to tell her "secret." Sadie obviously wanted to know Josie's secret, and pulled the old "I'll tell you if you'll tell me" trick, although Sadie completely fabricated her secret. Josie narrowed her eyes, squared her shoulders, and stomped back to bed. A hard lesson learned.