Tuesday, January 12, 2010

No business like Snow business

Last week in the car, we did the Roll Call to make sure everyone was in the car. Josie performed the much-loved task, making a squeaky "He-uh" sound for Adelaide, then Sadie did an actual Roll CALL from her pretend cell phone to advise me that she was in the car. I loved her play on words.

We went to the bakery and Josie got a slice of delicious chocolate chip pumpkin bread. She went on and on about how great it was, and then I accidentally handed it to Adelaide instead of her when we were back in the car. When I tried to get it back, well, THAT wasn't happening! My little grown-up, sharing Josie said, "It's okay, Mommy, I already had some of that delicious bread. Adelaide can keep it." What wonderful sharing! I was so proud.

Sadie stayed over at Grandma's for a day and a night, having special Grandma time. Josie, bored and lonely (and without anyone to boss her around) said, "I miss her. I think I'm going to start calling her Ned." Where this declaration came from, I do not know.

We had quite a bit of snow last week, and after doing all the crafts any of us could stand, we all bundled up one day and went out for some snow fun. When I told her to
put on her snow pants, Josie clobbered me and laid one of "Josie's hugs" on me, which are quite possibly the best hugs in the world. She really throws herself into them. Is there anything better than a little kids hug? I can't think of anything. Anyway, we wondered out into the snow, Adelaide looking like Ralphie's little brother - you know, the one who couldn't put his arms down in his snowsuit - and Sadie and Josie finally free from the house and ready to burn some energy. First up: Rabbit tracking. They followed rabbit tracks all the way around the house back to the pond, then caught up with some deer tracks and followed those. Next, Sadie decided she was the world's biggest rabbit and she jumped all over the place, making her own trail and destroying the real one. Josie decided to make snow angels, and she did a pretty good job, too, but she gave up when she got snow down her neck. All the while, Adelaide is following me around saying, "Cold! COLD!" over and over. I ended up having to carry her around (the snow was so deep that her little boots weren't helping much) and THAT didn't last long, since she = heavy and my back = hurty. Sadie then decided to help me knock icicles off the gutters (without my permission) and proceeded to take one right on the nose... OUCH! She got a fairly big (and I know painful) scratch, so we decided to call it a day. A snow day!