Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Space Savers


This is why I don't let my kids watch TV. Sadie (after a day that obviously included some commercials at Grammie's house) came home and quoted, "Mommy, you really need some super Space Saver Bags. They fit right under your bed, and you can squeeze the air completely out of them, mashing them flat and storing up to 12 sweaters all at once! It's just so convenient!"

Josie is the queen of all drama queens these days. I think we're going to have to send her to a fine arts academy. If she's in trouble or mad about something, she'll cry like the world is just falling to pieces, and she will SOB like her heart is just breaking. If I tell her to stop it, she'll breathe heavily and sigh and say, "I'm twying but I can't! I really just can't! I don't know how and I JUST CAN'T DO IT! Wahhhhhh!!" and she'll burst into tears again. It's so hard for me not to laugh at her (which only makes it worse because she says "EEEHHH! It's NOT FUNNY!"), but she's so DRAMATIC. The other day she worked herself into a worried frenzy while we were out shopping for Easter dresses because she just couldn't decide between the two that she liked. If I were THAT kind of parent, I probably would've gotten both of them for her. Luckily, I'm not that kind of parent. But I'm wondering: what in the world do the teenage years have in store for us?

Adelaide is continually cracking me up these days, trying out her new words (she picked up a little rat finger puppet that Grandma Beth gave her for Christmas and said, "WEASEL!"), her new skills (bouncing a ball, jumping, riding her little riding tractor, blowing bubbles, etc.), and her emerging conscience. I remember the other two doing this too, but I think it's so fascinating. She'll look at something she knows she's not supposed to do or touch, like the stove or the gum in my purse, and she'll say under her breath, "no, no... no, no...." like she's talking herself out of messing with it. I love that!