Sunday, April 04, 2010

Dirty Wormies

Yesterday, it was around 70 degrees here in the usually frozen North. Sadie and Josie spent a good 45 minutes digging for worms in the abandoned (by me) garden plot in the back yard in the afternoon. They were "saving" the worms from drowning, since they thought there was too much water under the dirt. After they caught 7 or 8long wiggly worms, Josie and Adelaide spent ANOTHER 45 minutes hunkered down on the ground, WATCHING the worms. Who knew worms made such good babysitters?

While the worm show was going on, Sadie and I played a version of badminton with a Winnie the Pooh beachball. This led to much running, laughing, rule changing (by Sadie) and eventually a broken badminton racquet. I think we need some birdies.

Today, Josie and I planted our lettuce seeds while Sadie gave the vinca vines a "haircut." Those things really take over the flowerbeds. Adelaide was a big help, walking around and pointing out "Dirt! Trash! Yuck! Dirty! Eww! Worm! Bug! Pider!" Later, they begged me until I finally let them put on swimsuits and squirt each other with the hose. Then they proceeded to rub mud all over themselves and pretend that they were gorillas... there was much grunting, jumping around, and beating of chests. Although I'd warned them that the muddier they got, the longer they'd have to stand under the freezing hose, they didn't listen. This, of course, ended up with two screaming, crying, wailing, freezing, dirty girls dancing all around on the driveway. Oh, and with me laughing. It was funny! I couldn't help it!