Monday, May 17, 2010

Feel Like Travelin' On

Sunday
We got up bright and early to take my grandma up the mountain to church at White Oak. After the service and some playing outside by the kids, we decided to go down to visit Odessa at my grandpa's old homeplace. Odessa was bedridden at the time we were there and she hadn't been feeling well for some time, so she was VERY happy to see up all come traipsing in on her after church was over.
While we visited and sang some songs together (The Old Ship of Zion), which was bittersweet - it almost brought me and my mom to tears, singing along with her.
Grammie gave the kids a tour of the barn and the hog pen, and lots of the other places she talks about in her stories, and the kids just ate it up.

After we got home, the kids wanted to go play and swim with Kimmie, Noah, Dalton, and Hailey, so with no naps, they headed over to the pool for a good old time of swimming, sandbox, and splinters -- Chasity cracked up when Josie informed her that she was so much better at getting splinters out than I am. She said, "Mommy's not good at getting splinters out AT ALL!" Sheesh. Talk about unappreciated! :) I went to hang out at Amanda's for Girls' Night. Later, Becky and I went back to pick up the kids and ended up hanging out on the deck for hours, having a homeschooling debate and talking until it was dark.

After that, we headed home for watermelon with Aunt Sharon, then BED!

Monday
Monday was a busy, busy day for me. I had to go to pick up parts for Daddy to work on our van with, then to the bank to see my cousin Kristi and turn in the kids' piggy bank money, next to pick up breakfast for my grandma at Hardee's - they had a 99 cent ham biscuit! - next to Daddy's to drop off the car stuff, then to the grocery store with Melanie while Ada stayed to play with my girls at Grandma's house with Grammie Gail, then we had supper with Angela and Scotty (I really love the sound of the kids laughing at the card table in the living room and hearing calls of "more gravy, please!"). Later Amanda came by to see the girls and pick me up to go to Melanie's house... we ended up staying there until 1:00 in the morning! Nothing like girl time, is there? :)

Tuesday
I had my first stomachache in literally 25 years until 3am Tuesday morning. Weird. Later, when I finally DID get to sleep, Adelaide decided to wake up and get in bed with me. She decided to help herself to my water glass on the nightstand, which she then proceeded to dump right down my back as I slept. YIKES!!! I screamed! Talk about a rude awakening. She cried and yelled, "Sowwy! Sowwy! Fault!" Later that morning I took the kids to play at Chasity's while I went to have lunch with Sherry, who was so sweet to buy my lunch, THEN I found some World's Finest Chocolate bars at the checkout- hooray! Hadn't seen any of those in years! Then BACK to the car place to pick up a part they had to order, then BACK to Chasity's, where I found that Adelaide refused to let Chass change her diaper... they had a great time with the birds, the dog, and a little toad that they found, which they named Henry. Next we went to Heather's to see her new house and so the girls could play with Sydney, who went around yelling "Shake what your Mama gave ya!" (Heather didn't know where THAT came from :). Leaving them there to play, I went to Daddy's with Adelaide (he was finally feeling better), who enjoyed "helping" Papaw work on the van; he gave her a big magnet on a stick to pick up stuff off the floor with (FUN), then they both got super dirty oily hands (cute picture), and Adelaide fell asleep on the porch swing with me and Mamaw for 15 minutes because she was SO exhausted. Later she stayed with Mamaw while I took Daddy with me to Heather's to pick up the kids, and Sadie read him Hand Hand Fingers Thumb (he tried to trick her to make sure she was really reading and not just memorizing), and Adelaide showed him and Mamaw how to play "Tick Tock, Tick Tock, I'm a little cuckoo clock, tick tock tick tock, now I'm striking one o'clock... CUCKOO!" Josie found a caterpillar outside and played with it for an hour... she named it Henry too. Then the girls shopped in Mamaw's toy store, ate corn on the cob, then headed back to Grandma's for some desperately needed baths.

Wednesday



We took Angela with us (the boys were at school) and met Natasha and Bayleigh at the playground, then we went to lunch (the girls were in charge of getting our free ice cream, and Natasha ordered Banana Split ice cream but they came back with A BANANA SPLIT), then we went shopping at Walmart and the Dollar store for Mother's Day. Next it was home for napping, then to Village Inn Pizza with Papaw and Mamaw for wing night - it was very smoky in there! Afterward we went to play at a little playground... there was much yelling by Adelaide: "Swing! Swing! Slide! I Slide!"

Thursday
Our last day of this trip. We hung out at Grandma's house all day until we went to
Daddy's... then we went to the park to play in the creek. The kids thought that was AWESOME. They pretended to look for gold, and Mamaw kept track of all of their "nuggets" for them. Of course, they all got completely soaked while looking for said "gold," so I had to strip them off in the parking lot and they all rode home as Nudey Butts!