Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Funny Things

I heard my oldest child say to her sister, "Josie, I will get that from you! By the Great Horn Spoon I will!" I did not even know what this meant... as a matter of fact, I'd never even HEARD this saying before. Sadie explained to me that this was something that Pa Ingalls used to say when he was mad. I looked it up - she's right! It was "a common American oath used in the 1800s." She was right on target, but it was certainly funny to hear it coming from her!

Adelaide has learned the ever-popular game of "Guess Which Hand It's In?" except she holds "it" in plain view and then says "Guess which hand is in? Guess which hand is in?"

Josie's dialogue to herself after we talked about getting a dog (but I was in earshot, and she always talks to herself out loud... keep in mind that she is the world's biggest rambler): "Well, I will take care of it, though I've never taken care of a dog before so someone will have to teach me. I wonder what its name will be... what will I name it? I don't know. But I will walk it and feed it and brush it and play with it and it can sleep with me... but who will clean up the poop? I guess for that I will have to call for my mom." Ah hah! Just as I suspected!

Last night as I was tucking the girls in bed, after I sang to them, rubbed their backs, and said prayers, Sadie said, "You're the best Mommy in the whole world...(sigh). I wish Mommy was... Mommy." There was a pause, then Josie said, "Um...she is."