Saturday, March 23, 2013

Chicken Code

“I want to raise chickens because I want to gather eggs. And sell them to our friends and neighbors.”

This is the answer I got from my 8-year-old daughter when I asked her why she’s become so obsessed with chickens.
 
Right now when we “gather eggs,” I send one of the girls out to the extra refrigerator in the garage. They fill a little basket with the eggs they get from the giant family-sized 3-dozen carton from Sam’s Club.

This "egg-substitute" is not cutting it for Sadie. What she really wants to do is gather eggs from actual chickens.

We have plenty of room, plenty of land, a handy dad who can build a proper enclosure and some kids with a great deal of enthusiasm and “want to.”

We homeschool, so this would be a fantastic opportunity for my kids to learn about responsibility, animal husbandry, buying and selling, making a profit and dealing with the public when they possibly might show the birds at the county fair.

So I called the city. I was told that we are not allowed to have chickens at all. Hmm. I was surprised and, honestly, somewhat annoyed. A) I really don’t like being told what I can or can’t do on my own property and B) I don’t want to train my kids that you’ve got to go and ask the government for “permission” to feed your family. Granted, this isn’t necessarily something that's going to keep us from going hungry, but you understand my point.

Don’t get me wrong – I understand zoning. I understand that I shouldn’t be allowed to raise rattlesnakes in my backyard or set up a mobile home next to my garage. I can even understand why we shouldn't have a rooster because, let's face it, roosters are loud (we used to live next door to someone with a rooster in NC and he woke us up every day.) But I don't understand why, if we have plenty of land (we do) and plenty of space between neighbors (we do) and a very willing and eager 8-year-old who actually wants to work and learn about sustainable, renewable resources - why can't we (legally) own three little chickens?

I did some research. In other large cities like New York and Philadelphia, they are beginning to adopt rules that allow chickens within city limits. According to backyardchickens.com, in the city of Cleveland (where most yards are tiny) you can legally have up to three laying hens. But in Mentor, where I have a humongous yard, you can’t have any.

I’m not trying to start a debate or anything. I’m just asking, why?

I decided to write to my very kind and helpful City Councilwoman. She informed me that at this time, there isn’t a Council majority of at least four members that would vote to change what I’m henceforth referring to as the “Anti-Chicken Code.” I also found out that at least a few other people in the area would be interested in changing the code.

I love living in Mentor. I don’t want it to become Farmville or anything like that. I’m not really sure how to go about this, but I think maybe we could initially draft an ordinance to allow citizens in residentially zoned areas to raise a maximum of three hens per household in a well-maintained coop. If necessary, residents could even apply for a permit or receive approval from half of their adjacent neighbors (I bet a dozen fresh eggs would go a long way with some neighbors!) There could be distance restrictions between chicken coops and neighboring properties.

Some friends of mine were allowed to raise chickens in Painesville when it wasn’t technically “allowed” because it was a special project for 4H and homeschooling (even the initial petitioning of the city would be a great learning experience for us.) I wonder if we could we allow it in Mentor for special circumstances, too?

One more thing – I’m not sure I want to try to change a rule if my kids and I are the ONLY ones who want to change it, so I’d really love to hear your opinion – even if it's different from mine.
What are your thoughts on the “Anti-Chicken Code?”

from my 3/22/13 post for www.mentorpatch.com