Thursday, February 23, 2006

Selfish is as Selfish Does

I'm having issues. Not sure what my problem is... if it's hormonal or what, but my patience has been practically non-existent these past few days. Maybe it's because I'm always a little sad after I go home and then come back up here. Anyway, my father-in-law called me a "grumpy broad" yesterday (lol) so I guess I need to shape up.

I didn't work today, but I had lots of work to do! Still preparing for this weekend... I have to get up early tomorrow and decorate a church for a wedding and deliver all of the flowers (thank goodness the bride wanted artificial rather than fresh, otherwise I don't know what I would've done). I finished putting together all of the materials for my workshop on Saturday (I have to be there at the crack of dawn to set up), so now all I have to do is buy enough food for 16 people for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and cook, cook, cook. If you don't hear from me for a while, I have collapsed in a puddle in the kitchen floor. Ding! I'm done!

Today, Sadie whispered to her Grandma Beth, "I'm a whippersnapper." heehee - that's what her Grandpa Roy calls her. It was pretty cute. She also said, "Put this Snoopy up there in his bed and give me the other one, please." That was the longest sentence ever (she has 2 backup Snoopys that live in her closet... she likes to rotate every now and then). Josie is now ticklish under her arms and likes playing the "Up close... Far away" zooming-back and forth- in front- of the mirror game with her daddy. Speaking of him, I am so jealous. Now I know how my mama felt all those years since I've always been a Daddy's girl. Sadie snuggled up next to him, put her arms around his neck and said, "Oh, Daddy, I love you... So much." Awww!!! What am I? Chopped liver?!

I'm far too blessed with these girls (and my husband) to complain, and yet, somehow, I do it anyway. Sometimes I wonder how I ended up being so lucky. I certainly don't deserve them. Or anything else, for that matter. Over the past few days, I've really been dwelling on what a bad person I basically am. Intrinsically evil, you could say. I mean, I'm not a serial killer or anything (maybe a cereal killer - I've been known to polish off a bowl or three of Fruity Pebbles now and then), but I am selfish, selfish, selfish. Trying to train Sadie not to say, "It's mine! MINE!" and "Me, me, me" all the time is definitely teaching me something. Human nature cannot be defeated, no matter how old we get and no matter how mature we may become. Selfishness is definitely inherent... I often find myself saying the same thing in my mind, "Me, me, me!" Thank God for grace and forgiveness.