Sunday, August 13, 2006

Just thinkin'

This morning when we were getting ready for church, Sadie looked at me and said, "You're so pretty, Mommy!" This brought tears to my eyes and also made me think. The responsibility thing again. It's an unbelievable responsibility I have... to live up to anything remotely resembling what these girls deserve as a role model. I'm trying hard, but today after church, Sadie said, "Oh, crap." Sheesh. I wonder who she got that from. It could be worse, I guess, but still. That's not something you want your 2 year old spouting off.

Josie is currently upstairs attempting to take a nap. Well, actually, she is yelling something that sounds like high-pitched barking. And bouncing up and down in her crib. And throwing stuffed animals (I can hear all this through the monitor). I just put her down for a 2nd nap because they've both been fighting a cold, and there is some measure of crankiness in the house (as opposed to the normal Large measure that I myself bring). I was rocking her a little while ago, and she decided that her new favorite thing to do is grab the lace curtains and look at me through them. She smushes her little face right up against them, leans in close to my face, and then laughs her head off. She is so stinking cute that it's scary.

I miss home. It's been 2 months now since I've been there, and I'm beginning to learn that that's my limit. I miss my daddy. I miss my mama and my grandma. And my cousins. And my friends. Apparently, I can't stay away longer than a couple of months or I start metamorphosizing into a "Northerner." Eeek! I must (this is one of my Daddy's favorite sayings) "make like horse hockey and hit the trail!"

The house is coming along. Still working on it whenever we have a spare minute. I got new cabinet hardware... brushed nickel. This house has so many cabinets... I had to buy 56 drawer pulls - do you believe that?! There are 5 deer that live IN our backyard next to the "pond." Three babies, and 2 mamas. We also have raccoons. I have a feeling the raccoons are not going to be quite as nice to have around as the deer!

Well, my birthday is looming before me. Only 14 more days to go. I have not yet begun to panic, but the only thing I can think of that I want are "tummy tuck" jeans and a makeover. I must be panicking subconsciously.