Monday, May 21, 2007

Pssst...

The gardening is frustrating, already. It hasn't been in a week yet, and already the little pests are eating everything! I should've known, since we live in a suburban wildlife refuge - raccoons, deer, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, every kind of vermin there is seems to thrive in our backyard. I never thought they would eat pepper plants! They're all gnawed down to a "nub!" We put up a fence today... I'm hoping that it will at least deter SOME of the varmints. Dang it.

The kids, who could care less about our critter issues, had fun helping me water (and soaking themselves with their own watering cans), finding imaginary worms, and throwing dirt at each other. Maybe I should say DUMPING dirt on each other... I think that would be more appropriate. So, after we emptied out our shoes and their pants and shirts and whacked each other on the head to get all the dirt out, the kids ended up eating a semi-nudie-butt supper because they had to go straight to the tub. There is something about eating while naked (neck-ed, as we say in the South) that they just love. I personally haven't tried it in over two decades. :)

So I do this thing with the kids, just about every night but at least 3 times a week, where I "tell them a secret." I lean over and whisper, "You are the very best Sadie in the world!" or "You are the best Josie in the whole wide world!" The other night, after having a particularly frustrating time consisting of multiple messes, poop explosions (them, not me:) and disobedience, I was rocking Josie for a couple of minutes before I put her in bed. I had not done the whisper thing and I was getting ready to plop her in the crib when she sat up, put her hands on my cheeks, then leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Psssst...pssst...psst... se-tret. Mommy... whole wide world!"

I cried.