Friday, July 20, 2007

Summertime in His hands

This week was Bible School at church, and I was the coordinator. This took up our mornings and then I worked in the afternoons, so it's been a crazy, busy, tiring week. But all in all, it was rewarding. I think the kids had a good time, and I think they learned a lot. On the way to church Wednesday morning, we were singing Josie's favorite song, "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands." After a few rousing verses of "He's got Mommy and Daddy in 'He' hands," "Brothers and Sisters in 'He' hands," "The itty bitty baby in 'He' hands, "Sadie and Josie in 'He' hands," I threw in that "He's got Snoopy and Blankie in His hands...." Sadie was sitting in the back with Snoopy (who also has a rattle in his tummy). As I sang, I heard Snoopy rattle. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw Sadie throw Snoopy over her head as hard as she could and into the cargo part of the van. Then she said, "Well, He doesn't have SNOOPY in His hands, because I threw him in the back!"

Tomorrow is Josie's birthday. I cannot believe that she's going to be two already. It seems like it was just yesterday that we brought her home from the hospital. Now she's turned into such a little character. Her new thing is kissing. She LOVES kissing, and when she puckers up, it's hilarious. She sucks her bottom lip totally behind her teeth and makes a giant sucking sound before she gets you. And then she wants to kiss "Eyes, Mom." "Nose, Mom." "Cheek, Mom." "Other one, Mom." She is also the world's greatest hugger. I feel SO important when she throws her chubby little arms around me and squeezes for all she's worth.

Tonight, to celebrate the end of our crazy week, we went to dinner with Aunt Sarah, threw rocks into the marina (simultaneously scaring the heck out of me and Sarah, because there was no railing and the water was 15 feet deep and very sinister, alligator-looking), then got ice cream cones at "Old Donald's." When we got home, I decided to completely blow their minds and let them stay up until 10:00! The best part? We sat outside on a blanket and watched the stars come out. We made wishes, too. Sadie's was, "I wish Mommy and Daddy would not pop me all the time." I laughed when she said that, and then she did, too. Then she looked at me and said, "Well! I really do wish it!" You'd think that the child gets a daily spanking or something!! Good grief. My grandma used to spank my uncle every day whether he needed it or not. Heehee... my guess is that usually, he needed it. Anyway, I digress. We made wishes, looked for falling stars, Josie spotted the moon, then ran around our blanket in crazy circles, we caught lightning bugs (and let them go), group hugged, and had a GREAT summery time.