Tuesday, January 25, 2011

And that's the truth

So Sadie and Josie could stay up a little longer to play with their Polly Pocket dolls upstairs, I let Adelaide snuggle in bed with me for a while. I thought she would conk out immediately, but of course she just snuggles next to me and stays AWAKE. And awake. And awake. I pretended to be asleep because I thought she might give in and fall out, but then I felt her little hand on mine and heard her little voice right next to my ear -
Adelaide: "Mommy, are you asleep yet?"
Me: "Yes."
Adelaide: "Oh. Okay."
Then she gave up and went to sleep!

I asked Josie about the cupcakes she made with Grandma Beth on Friday night and she told me they were "eggnog cupcakes." I said, "Really?" She said, surprised that I doubted her, "YES! I tell ya what's the TRUTH, Mommy!"

One of the most surprising things about my kids is that they love to hear the Bible read. Not just Bible stories, mind you, but from the real, actual BIBLE. They actually beg me to read it to them at breakfast each morning. It's strange, I think, in this day and age, to have someone beg you to read the Bible to them. Strange, yet humbling, in a way. I love that about them. They both try to shush Adelaide, too, while I'm reading: "HUSH, ADELAIDE! You do NOT talk while Mommy is reading the BIBLE!" It's funny. This week we finished the story of Noah. As we were talking about all the people who probably were banging on the door, trying to get in the ark when the flood started, Josie said, "Well, Noah couldn't have opened the door even if he WANTED to, because GOD shut that door!" Josie is a very perceptive child. :)